F.C. Baker Award of Distinction
Award Criteria and Process:
Each year the section judges review entries in the Illumination Awards program by the Portland, Oregon Section and may select a project for the F.C. Baker Award of Distinction. This award honors the very highest level of lighting design in the Portland, Oregon Section. The F.C. Baker Award is intended as an annual award, but is only given based upon the discretion of the judges. The award is presented at the Annual IES Portland, Oregon Section Awards Presentation.
Frederick C. Baker Biography
Frederick C. Baker was a Portland, Oregon lighting designer and manufacturer from 1912 until his death in 1981. A founding member of the Oregon Section, Fred served on the first Board of Managers when the Oregon Section was chartered by the IES in 1941.
Frederick Charles Baker was born in Michigan in 1887. He attended the University of Oregon, studying under Ellis Lawrence, the first Dean of Architecture at U of O. He became one of the few lighting designers to draw designs in full detail, rather than beginning with a model.
Baker opened his first shop, Fred C. Baker Lighting Company, in 1912 on the corner of SW Second and Mill Street, making it the first lighting firm in Oregon. He was responsible for the lighting of many buildings including the Oregon State Capitol, Timberline Lodge, Temple Beth Israel, the Old First National Bank Building, the Gus Solomon Federal Courthouse, The Portland Art Museum, the Masonic Temple, the Pittock Mansion, the Lloyd Frank home (now the administrative building at Lewis & Clark College) and many other prominent projects of the time.
He was still actively involved with the business and an active IES Member when he died of a heart attack at the age of 94 in 1981. His known remaining papers are archived at the Oregon Historical Society.
This biography was developed with information provided by the Oregon Historical Society, IES Portland, Oregon Section records and other sources.